Curved Long Bridges

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 22:03:13 -0500

>I just got finished realizing that any crown in a ribbed board is
>incidental, and not required for support of the string load.

Then you realized incompletely. Crown along the ribs is a rather necessary
part of current soundboard design.

>This meant that the underside of the bridge didn't need to be fitted to
>match board curvature (crown) parallel to the board and bridge. What
>remains is any extent to which the bridge may, in its path down the board,
>cross the "continental divide" (as 'twere), and thus need to have its
>bottom shaped to match this uphill/downhill contour. If this isn't done, I
>could imagine that the flat-bottom (for lack of a shorter word) bridge
>would would end up twisted in its cross section. Then the bridge would no
>longer be plumb to the string plane, but rather to the whatever point in
>the board's curvature you chose to measure it.

You're assessing all this from the pathological example of your bridge
sample. Go through it again with the picture of the bridge I sent, and it
will make more sense.

>Maybe I pulled this thinking out of the oven too soon, maybe I should put
>it back in.

Yes, or rather, start over.

Ron N