A Reason To Document

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 08:46:46 -0400

> Now, what I'd like to know is how many tuners manage to get paid for
> those 2 beat pitch raises!

Two bpm = 8 cents @ A440 - right?

FWIW, not saying my way is the right way, but just the way I do it - for normal, everyday tunings (not concert work, etc.). Anything within 5 cents of A440, just the tuning fee applies. Anything more than 10 cents off I charge for a pitch raise (I actually pro-rate the PR between 10 and 20 cents off @ $2 per cent). Between 5 and 10 cents off is a grey area. Generally a piano that has not been tuned for many years will get the PR charge - because not only does it average 8 cents off, it may be way high in one area and way low in another, i.e. way out of tune with itself - generally, it will be a new client's piano I find in this condition. If the whole piano is a nice 8 cents flat everywhere - or at least the flatness is fairly even across the keyboard, I may well not charge extra for the pitch raise - this case will most often be a piano I have serviced previously and either I did a large pitch raise last time, or it simply has been a few years since the last tuning. Whether to charge or not charge for a pitch raise in the 5 to 10 cents flat grey area is a judgement call. My personal rule is to charge them ($2 per average cents flat) - but sometimes I don't.

Why do I charge for a PR when the piano averages 6 cents flat? Because IMHO, the way I tune, and the pianos I tune on, and the climactic factors in Florida, and the close proximity to the sea, and because there are a few panthers left in Florida (not to even mention the oscillating earth's magnetic field here in western Florida), if the piano is more than 5 cents flat it will require a separate pitch raise pass to produce the kind of tuning that I will be happy with.

Actually, if the piano is more than 2 cents flat or so, I really need to do a separate PR pass to get the tuning I like - and whereas that should mean that I would charge for that PR pass - I just don't think that would go over too well with my clients. And when they are that close, I figure they likely tune the piano often, and it likely will not need the extra work next time we tune - again, even there it is a bit of a grey area.

Boy, that was a lot of wind for just a few details!

Terry Farrell