Curved Long Bridges

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 09:36:14 -0500

> > Agreed, as in Ron's .jpeg. That doesn't prevent the curved tenor end
> > of the long bridge from showing up in the pianos from famous makers
> > who should know better.
>
>Ah yes, but herein lies the nut of the matter. The hockey stick end of a
>bridge would only present a complication if one were trying to glue it to
>a new board. Regarding the long bridge, who says we must put back what we
>take out (unless of course the owner dictates - but I would argue that
>might be an indicator of the rebuilder's lack of salesmanship!)? This is
>really for the Del F's and Ron N's of the world to comment on, but I think
>that most pianos with a hockey stick low tenor will be improved by
>rescaling and adding a transition bridge to carry the last five or so
>notes that were previously on the low tenor end of the long bridge.
>
>Terry Farrell

The whole point of making a new bridge in the first place is to improve the
instrument, famous maker or copy of famous maker notwithstanding.
Otherwise, the old bridge is just recycled with a new cap. The transition
bridge is defined by where the bass/tenor break works out on the scaling
sheet, wherever it may actually occur in the piano. As I said, you try to
improve the instrument.

Ron N