A Reason To Document

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:41:14 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/03 6:30:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
RNossaman@cox.net writes:

> Home tunings of regular clients with similar climate control and budgets
> get the same thing. First time customers get the pitch raise charge. I try
> to do it as right as the situation allows, and always discuss it with the
> customer so we each know what is both expected, and provided. It doesn't
> keep the pianos in optimal tune, but it helps keep the politics in check.

I try to keep the pianos at or close to 440, and only charge for pitch raises
when it's a new customer or if the piano has been neglected.  After I give a
brief explanation of what is required, I give the customer a copy of the PTG
Bulletin "Pitch Raising" so they can read it on their own time(especially new
piano owners, who have been told by the salesperson that it "might" need
tuning after a year).

I do not service many pianos with climate control in central CA; the weather
is pretty temperate.  Weather induced pitch changes seldom exceed 3-5 cents.
 Most of the pianos I tune regularly have no more than 2-3 cent variation
between summer and winter.  Unlike much of the country, our pianos go sharp
in the winter(rainy season) and flat(doesn't rain for 6 months, but seldom
gets blisteringly hot) in the summer.  It's a very piano friendly climate.

My current living space up in the hills is a bit more problematic.  I had a
nice, stable studio piano delivered here in January, and within two weeks, it
had gone 12-15 cents sharp!  It gets a tad chilly and damp here in the woods
in winter--Dampp Chaser time!

Dave Stahl