market value

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 16:33:31 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/03 8:03:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I was under the impression that Steinways appreciated in value. What did the
> D cost in 1970?
>
> Terry Farrell

If you look at Steinway's web site, they say it is a good investment, arguing
that the value of a D, (or any model), bought now is 2 times more than it
cost 10 years ago. Well, that might sound like they pianos appreciate in
value, but if you look in the Ascot Book from 10 years ago, and compare the
MSRP of all the pianos to what the MSRP's are now, and you'll discover that
ALL pianos are twice as expensive today as they were 10 years ago. It's a
sales ploy that quite frankly, as much as I like Steinways, stinks. It is
very misleading, and to some customers, very confusing Case in point.

About 3 years ago I was asked to appraise a 10 year old S&S S for a customer.
When I told him it was wroth at most $20,000, he was shocked. He had bought
it 10 years earlier for $20,000, and were selling new for about $36,000. He
was lead to believe by the salesman that Steinways appreciate 100 percent in
10 years. So he plunked down $20,000, in the hopes of doubling his money in
10 years. He was mad at me for telling him he had been mislead.

Wim