Even balance weight or even something else, that's the question.

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:14:39 -0400

David C. Stanwood wrote:

> The solution that we use with Precision TouchDesign installations is to use
> smooth front weights and center symmetrical key lead patterns around a
> point half way in between the front of the key and the balance rail.  We
> keep the patterns as tightly spaced as possible. The patterns are always
> close to center line of the front half of the key.  We find that this
> addresses the dynamic quality sufficiently enough using practical static
> weight methods...
>
> Here is a picture of a "Tower Pattern" as we call it:
>
> http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/Pa100088web.jpg

Good point, well said David and I see your
reasoning. Nice j-peg as well.

> Theoretically I can imagine that the most ideal and dynamically smooth
> displacement of weight added to the key for weighing off would be to use
> bars of metal, attached to the bottom of the keys, of varied lengths as
> needed to balance the key with their center point on the center point of
> the key but what's the point of hair splitting?  It's a good and necessary
> mental exercise that's what... but impractical and unnecessary in the real
> world.
>
> Thanks for the formula's John.
>
> David Stanwood

David,

I am sure you know that the center of your rods
(or the center of any lead pattern) would not be
the proper measuring point for measuring the
moment of inertia. While you can use the center of
gravity in static measurements it is not so simple
for dynamic measurements. I concede that the way
you have addressed the inertia problem is probable
accurate enough it is not as rigorous as you
method for static balancing. I am not one to do
much hair splitting (that's how I keep a full head
of hair) I have to say that your balance system
does split hairs relatively speaking. So why not
get just as .. err.. precise when working on the
inertia of the action?

You have made some good points but still there
remains the question: How can we measure directly
the inertia of the action or the inertia of any
action part? Just as you have come up with
solutions to measuring the static balance of an
action I would like to see some way to measure the
dynamic properties of the action. Until we have a
way to do this we will not know if there is a
benefit to calibrating the inertia of the action.
Or how important calibrating the inertia of the
action is compared to calibrating its static balance.

BTU I really like your round slide rule for
calculating balance components. It is smart as
well as beautifully designed. Good work!

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979