Even balance weight or even something else, that's thequestion.

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:41:34 -0400

Richard Brekne wrote:

> I would be very interested indeed in hearing how one would achieve uniform inertia
> in the action while at the same time being able to vary hammer mass from bass to
> treble. I suppose you had somthing in mind ?

I don't' think you can get an even inertia in the
action from bass to treble unless you make the
hammers the same mass. Or compensate for the mass
difference somewhere else. I don't think getting
the action to have the same inertia in the bass
and treble is the point. Getting it even from note
to note and not making it excessive would be the
objective.

>>>John Hartman Wrote:
>>
>>>As far as I know no one has created the tools or methods to calibrate an
>>>even gradation of inertia in an action. I think it would be difficult to
>>>use key leads to balance the action statically and dynamically at the
>>>same time.
>>

> Isnt "balance"  rather <<by definition >> a static measurement ? Would you be so
> kind as to expound a bit on what a "dynamic balance" is exactly ?...

Dynamic balance relates to measuring and adjusting
the inertia of an abject in rotation. You can
statically balance a car wheel for example and it
will run smooth at low speeds. You need to balance
it dynamically if you want it to run smoothly at
higher speeds. Inertia takes over when a body is
accelerated faster than gravity (16 ft per second
squared?). When we play the piano action most of
time we are moving the parts in the dynamic range.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979