Even balance weight or even something else, that'sthequestion.

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:07:38 -0700 (GMT)

>Hi there David
>
>Agreed with your below........

>Those that assert that the dynamics of the action are not addressed by
all of
>this seem to overlook that both mass, friction and ratio taken thus are
quite
>central players in the dynamic perspective. Certainly the eveness created
in
>using a system such as PTD will be refected in that view.
>
>Cheers
>
>RicB

I think you would get an even inertia curve from this system to the extent that the inertias of all the keys are equal (in other words their dimensions are uniformly the same and the materials from which they are made are uniform) and that the leading is done with the idea of keeping the inertia curve smooth.  One way to do this would be to place the leads in all the keys at the same spot but vary their weights.  I'm not aware that anyone does this.  I believe people are using leads of a few fixed weights and locating combinations of them around on the key to get the front weight to match a curve.  If you're not careful about this you could have two adjacent keys that have almost identical front weights but very different inertias.  Whether this change in inertia is enough to affect the pianists perception of evenness I can't say, but it seems possible.

Phil F