Emailing: brambach upright soundboard

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:21:21 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: Emailing: brambach upright soundboard

> You mean it WASNT you who wrote that series of articles in the Journal
recently
> ? Seemed to me you could take your average wood hull, steam press it
nearly
> flat, cover it with fiberglass and paint it with some epoxy and  Viola !!
> Instant soundboard !!
>
> But perhaps I misunderstood.... :)  In anycase.. the picture (of the
Brambach
> panel) brought the image to mind.

Apparently.

Yes, I did make reference to a certain style of wooden boatbuilding in my
articles. The technique described was strip-planking, a common technique
used in small boat construction. Unfortunately, the illustration printed
with the articles nicely portrayed lapstrake boat construction and bore no
resemblance whatsoever to any of the concepts I described. And, while I did
mention covering the strip-planked wooden boats with Fiberglas, I don't
believe I suggested doing so with piano soundboards.

Del