Loose Tuning Pins-Drink Spilled

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:18:56 -0500

List.
	My trio played a lounge reception last night, with my electronic
piano, and during a break I visited the entrance foyer where a grand
"Old Lady" sat, poor thing :(>.  I lifted the key cover and played a
scale of octaves and quickly covered the keys back up.  OUT OF TUNE.
	I spoke to the manager (twin brother of a neighbor of mine) about
the piano and he said it hadn't been tuned in over a year and did
need to be tuned. "I can do it Saturday Morning - OK, How Much?  OK -
but let me show you something".  Turns out a guest spilled a drink on
the plate/soundboard/strings/pins, about 18 months ago, from G2 all
the way to A0.  It was sopped out but there is a stain on the
soundboard, the lighting was poor but the strings and plate appear to
be discolored, the could not tell the condition of the hammers.
 "And it won't hold the tuning now, and it was tuned over a year ago"
says he.
	"OK, Mr. Manger, there are a couple procedures that can be attempted
to tighten the tuning pins, but first I want to tune the piano and
identify which pins are loose.  Then I'll discuss my ideas and let
you be the judge on the short and long term recovery period and
costs".  "OK, that's fine, see you Saturday morning".
	Now, I've spent the morning searching the archives going back to
1996 up through today and there are many pros and cons.  Participants
have included:
Les Smith, Richard Boyington, Warren Fisher, Keith McGavern, Richard
Moody, John Kowalski, Ted Simmons, Glenn ?????, Joe Goss, Dave Hall,
Susan Kline, Mike erickson, Clyde Hollinger, Roger Hayden, Clark ???,
Craigb Brougher, Joe Garrett, Gordon Stelter, Paul McCloud, Bill
Ballard, Carolyn Bohn, Wim Blees, Tom Driscoll and Dan (Invader).
WHEW.
	Having read all of these contributions to this thread, there is one
suggestion by Gordon Stelter which, to me, having never attempted
this before, seems to be an easier initial step, I'm not saying that
there is a consensus of agreement on this, but I'll write what Gordon
says:
	 " Pull the action, put aluminum foil on the keybed and use the
thinnest type of CA glue around these pins (and the rest if you want
to really up the tightness).  Wear a carbon filter mask so you don't
get a headache, goggles and gloves".
	There are many other suggestions such as the following, and I have
not listed all of them (I've abbreviated them a bit, but you'll get
the drift :
	1)	removing the pins, filling holes with impact resin, using 2/0
pins.
	2)	using Hot-Stuff  red glue and krazy glue (CA)
	3)	driving the pins in a mm or so, always support the underside of
the block.
	4)	Garfield's Pin Block Restorer, use a hypo-oiler squeeze bottle,
apply to the base of the pins. (Assuming this means where the pin
enters the wood pin bushing).
	5)	some tighteners turn the pin block wood into mush and causes
terminal rust on any wire it touches.  (GRRRRRRR).
	6)	"As far as liquid pin tightener goes, I say, NO, NO,NO,NO,NO, DID
IS SAY NO? (I believe Robert Goodale was quite passionate about this)
	7)	"I recall a post about using super glue without removing the
tuning pins".

	OK, the suggestions go on and on and I don't find ONE very specific
procedure suggested that seems to be more readily
accepted or agreed to the by the contributors listed above.  Ya know
like a procedure that might be printed in the PACE books.
	SO, If I were to use the procedure written out above, by Gordon
Stelter, with the knowledge that it may not work, and I may
have to do a couple other things now like, replace the wound bass
strings which I'd then also replace the tuning pins, replace the
damper rod bushings, replace the felt on the bass dampers, replace or
refinish a few hammers, and there very likely a few other
villians lurking down inside that I couldn't see or hear last night.
	Could I please hear the YEA'S AND THE NAY'S on an initial step to
take.  Please refer to Gordon Stelter as "Thump" as we have been
mistakingly switched around in past discussions.

	My Regards,

	Gordon Holley
	Goshen, IN
	Associate Member