Key Button Wood

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:30:59 -0400

Farrell wrote:
> Key buttons are available in basswood or maple. Any advantage one way or the other with either material?
>
> Terry Farrell

If you check the information page on my web site
and go to the photos and illustrations page you
will find several photos of installing new new key
buttons. I originally used basswood since it is
what you usually see. The problem I had was the
basswood does not machine well against the grain.
When using a router to trim the buttons a rough
surface was left on some of the keys. I have been
making keyboards for several years and used
quarter sawn maple for the key buttons with good
success so I tried them for replacing on older
keys. The maple behaves better when machining
against the grain. It is also stiffer and more
durable (probably out last the rest of the key).
The only drawback is that the mortises need to be
machined accurately and the bushings need to be
properly sized from the beginning (I have had the
best luck making my own). Harder woods like maple
don't compress very easily if you are used to
using easing pliers to fit the keys. I really
don't like key easing pliers especially the ones
with compound action. I use the hot broaches for
easing.

A wrote a two part article for The Piano
Technicians Journal recently on installing key
button sets. Check the list of Journal articles on
the site.

--
John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos