R&D news (was even balance weight, thread length etc.)

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:38:58 -0400

David Love writes:
>  I don't really know how to handle the inertia question in a
>quantifiable way--not yet anyway.  There are those who are working on the
>project, though, and it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

to which Bill B commented:
>If you are referring to Stephen Birkett (as you did in the original
>post), I'll let him speak for himself. Yes, he will produce the
>Mother of All dynamic grand action mathematical models. No, he
>didn't the Guild  Foundation funding he'd been asking for five years
>ago, and the actual source of the funding will be the beneficiary of
>his work. What I know he told me in a private email, but I don't
>think I'm abusing his confidence.

Yo. I'm still around lurking in the dark recesses of the ptg list.
And yes....research is underway to develop the dynamic action model I
proposed here and elsewhere so many times. There is also quite a bit
of exciting experimental work going on, much of it quite novel,
trying to get to the bottom of action dynamics and the old chestnut
about exactly what a pianist can control vs what they think they are
controlling [the latter must be taken equally seriously].

We're also working hard on the other monster thread topic of
bridge/soundboard movement,  in the general context of vibratory
behaviours in the piano. No model on that one yet - we want to
understand exactly what is going on physically first. I have some
confidence we might be able to provide an unequivocal verification of
the mechanisms involved in string/bridge/soundboard coupling....but
that would make things a whole lot more dull here without those
periodic heated debates from the two camps, so maybe I should keep
quiet about it.

Details on the current piano technology research at
<http://real.uwaterloo.ca/~sbirkett>. Follow the obvious link.
There's some related stuff about historical materials which might
interest some (soft iron wire and hammer leather). Also obvious links.

Bill again:
>But just to keep things sober and in perspective, all of this
>pertains to the mechanical aspect of the action's "feel". It doesn't
>directly accomplish anything for the sound of the piano, which is
>where the art and the gift in our business lies.

Yes indeed. But this mystery aspect can certainly be explored
experimentally. The piano is ultimately just a machine, albeit a
complex one with fast-moving, and sometimes very small, components,
but still a predictable deterministic system. The mystery of its
behaviour is shrouded more in the difficulty a human observer faces
in trying to visualize and grasp all the motions and
inter-relationships dynamically, than in the obvious  complexity of
the behaviour. Asking the right (non-loaded) questions is the most
difficult part. Experimentation based on simply extending the
observational capabilities of the human investigator can be a very
effective way to become a dispassionate observer without
pre-conceived theories, an "eye opener" if you like, and I have a
feeling there will be some eye-opening when we delve deeper into some
of the fundamental topics.

And the "D" in my thread label "R&D" is definitely part of my
long-range plan, once we gain some ground on the "R" part.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett
Associate Professor