One for the Giffer

Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:08:18 +0200

Hi there Touchweight lovers !

Here's one you are gonna just love. This is one of two Jacob Knudsen
grands ever built. A good seven and a half footer, with no sound. I
mentioned a couple weeks back I'd gotten the action in on this. It was
the one with the keys coupled by a hinged post to the whippen.

Well, heres some touchweight specs on it after I took care of some basic
friction issues. I'll just take key 20 (first tenor key) as its very
representative.

FW   6.4 grams
KR    0.5 grams
SW   9.8 grams
WW 19.8 grams
whippen ratio looks to be 95/68 = 1.4 ^^  but that doesnt take into
account the hinged post.
DW  72 grams
UW  51 grams
F     20.5 grams
BW  61.5 grams
SW Ratio   5.8

This instrument has monster assist springs with all kinds of tension on
them, fairly light but huge sized hammers. The assist springs didnt seem
to have all that much affect on the BW tho.. perhaps the link between
the key and whippen causes that configuration some problems ??... DW 60
and UW 35 (rough) with springs on.

Hammers are pretty soft so those are being replaced, and I am going to
go with a 3/4 medium Strike Weight curve on this and match leads a bit
lower then I usually do and back way off on the assist springs, tho I
plan on keeping them in there.

As it was, the thing played like a truck and had no power at all. Even
through the soft hammers you could tell there wasnt much sound to pull
out of this thing. All was origional stuff, about 50 years old.

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne