Key Leads and Inertia

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:10:39 -0700

John:
	I fail to see what this has to do with real-world dynamics.
Since the lead is integral with the keystick, not suspended by a thread,
the inertia is going to be the same no matter how much acceleration is
generated by the pianist's finger.  What am I missing?
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of John Hartman
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 3:49 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Key Leads and Inertia

List,

Continuing with the discussion about even balance
weight verses even inertia I have another
contribution. Actually a clarification of a
comment I made before. Please see the illustration
on the technicians page of my web site.

I think this will show what I meant when I said
that the key leads help when you play softly but
hinder when you play at louder dynamics. I got
started thinking about this a few years ago after
seeing a class given by Bob Holf. He described an
experiment he did using a large scale key model.
The gist of the experiment was to discover how the
key reacted to varying force. The key's
acceleration as measured revealed the influence of
inertia.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin