1873 Steinway Square Grand

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:58:33 -0500

Subject: 1873 Steinway Square Grand

  List,=20
  Any particular advice on tuning this monster?  I have the proper tool =
on order.  I know the pins are supposed to be difficult to reach and =
have caused many a sore back.  =20

   =20

  Dave Stahl=20

  Dave
  I've done several squares, and they are not that difficult.  Spend a =
little time figuring out the tuning pin field, maybe make some labels =
for the pins to aid you in locating the right pin for the note you're =
tuning. On a couple of the squares I've tuned, I had to remove the =
damper mechanism to get to the strings for muting.  It was not =
difficult. The flange rail was secured by a pivot screw on each end.  =
The damper "levers" just sit on top of a post that is lifted by the key. =
 The clever simplicity of it is amazing.  If it still has the oval =
tuning pins, make sure your tuning lever head is double ended with the =
sockets at 90 degrees to each other.  You'll understand the importance =
of this when you begin to tune. Enjoy the learning experience.

  Paul C