Key Leads and Inertia

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:40:14 -0400

Dear Richard,

I'm so glad this makes you itchy. Seems to me that there is a=20
differential between (gravitational acceleration of the key and lead)
and the acceleration greater than gravity provided by the guy on the=20
end of the keystick, I think most practiced pianists can handily create=20=

the necessary pressure whether by finger, paw, forearm, or upper torso=20=

assist. BUT/AND isn't the only factor that affects loud/soft
or tone quality (once the piano is prepared) the VELOCITY OF THE HAMMER=20=

when it strikes the string? (I'm assuming the hammer and shank are free=20=

and clear of the mass and inertia of the remainder of the action at the=20=

moment of strike.)  So the pianists challenge is to modulate whatever=20
mass/ inertia/balance characteristics are presented in a given action.=20=

Speaking as a pianist I prefer an action balance
closest to consistent throughout its range as my first desire.  But I =20=

don't  necessarily want the entire action to have to bow to the=20
inertia/balance characteristics found at the extreme registers of the=20
instrument. In my experience I can play well on a variety of actions=20
which have different characteristics of 'balance feel'. The biggest=20
issues are either frictional OR sudden inconsistencies at what I'll=20
call 'break points' (someone else made mention of the potential for=20
very different characteristics in adjacent keys).

Please don't shoot me. I'm only the piano player. (not to mention that=20=

it made sense to me at the time)

Best, Rich Olmsted

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available