Key Leads and Inertia

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 00:23:49 +0200

I guess that what disturb the most the pianist is the initial breaking
of the inertia, once the key is moving he use the inertia and it's
kinetic energy.

That seems to correspond well to the more weight more centered idea,
but this in case of an action where the match between hammer weight
and action ratio is fair.

if the action ratio is too high, seems to me that the too large
inertia sensation at the beginning of the stroke remains whatever kind
of lead and placement is used, if more is employed near the balance,
it may help at certain key velocities, but the passivity of the system
certainly remains at others.

Are not too much lead dangerous for the flexibility of the key ? while
providing a "comfort element" as a predictable tactile sensation once
used to it, the few I've tried seem to push you towards the same
velocity range when playing.
At the same time some lack of response was perceived, but I have not
been able to understand where did it comes from.

Nowadays lead being a necessity, seems primordial to conceive the most
optimum match between the strings, soundboard system+ &  the hammers
to avoid unnecessary balancing .

B.T.W It should be fun to compare the acceleration of the piano hammer
with other extra fast objects, during the 45 mm it takes to hit the
string the speed the hammer attain is considerable, I'd like to say I
work on the faster accelerated object on earth for instance (and wear
protections while regulating let off).

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG