Fw: D hammers

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:04:51 +1000

>How is the length and position of the cutoff bar calculated?
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

By standing at the instrument with tape measure in hand and taking an
overview of the actual sound board 'acreage' as it stands, the
proximity of the long bridge to the concave curve of the outer rim
and belly rail, and trying to arrive at a curve which will place the
long bridge approximately in the centre of the belly.

However, there is considerable variation in the distance from the
long bridge to the concave curve of the rim. I use the note C52 as my
primary reference note when taking measurements. Designs from the
'70s, say a Yamaha G2 might have 280 mm from C 52 where it crosses
the bridge to the concave curve of the outer rim. This figure has
been gradually increasing with more contemporary designs. The Baldwin
SD-10 and the Yamaha C7F are about 350 mm to to the rim, while the
Steinway D is about 330. In instances where C52 to the rim is only
280 mm, it might not be a good idea to set the cut-off such that the
long bridge is in the middle of the panel - 560 mm may not be enough
effective sound board 'width'. But you do need to take a look at each
design and try to make an educated guess. There's no magic formula,
just experience.

On the other hand, we don't need half a football field of sound board
acreage from C52 to the rim as some makers seem to think. Big is not
necessarily better. Bigger might be better for the low bass up to a
point, but the sound board area adjacent to the bridge should
gradually decrease as we go from bass to high treble. A sound board
without a cut-off completely flies in the face of good piano design,
even if it is only a short piano. A slab of spruce attached to the
sound board panel across the bass end corner but not the back beams
is not a proper cut-off. This is merely the 'Claytons cut-off' which
we see too often amongst the commercial outpourings of makers who
should know better. Maybe they do know better but just don't care?
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about? We just have to keep
thinking about it as we get older. Answers will appear by and by.

Best,
Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY