Fw: D hammers

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:40:28 +0200

On zaterdag, apr 26, 2003, at 05:04 Europe/Amsterdam, Ron Overs wrote:

> On the other hand, we don't need half a football field of sound board
> acreage from C52 to the rim as some makers seem to think. Big is not
> necessarily better. Bigger might be better for the low bass up to a
> point, but the sound board area adjacent to the bridge should
> gradually decrease as we go from bass to high treble. A sound board
> without a cut-off completely flies in the face of good piano design,
> even if it is only a short piano. A slab of spruce attached to the
> sound board panel across the bass end corner but not the back beams is
> not a proper cut-off. This is merely the 'Claytons cut-off' which we
> see too often amongst the commercial outpourings of makers who should
> know better. Maybe they do know better but just don't care? Maybe I
> don't know what I'm talking about? We just have to keep thinking about
> it as we get older. Answers will appear by and by.
>
> Best,
> Ron O.

Hi,

I have been in this business for some time and I have never - really -
understood the workings of the cut off bar. What I do remember however
is the older Uebel & Lechleiter uprights without cut off bar, that
sounded impressively nice, with the emphasis on mellowness and lower
partial characteristics.

A. Oorebeek,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl