Soundboard or pinblock first

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 18:38:23 -0400

David Love wrote:
> When rebellying a piano, do those of you who do this find it better to
> replace the soundboard first or the pinblock first?  And why, of course?
>

> David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

David,

After taking careful teardown notes and making
patterns and templates I completely remove the
soundboard and pinblock. If the case is to be sent
out for finishing I do it at this stage. I make
the soundboard up to the point of having the ribs
glued on. I turn my attention to the pinblock.
After the pinblock is complete I glue the bridges
on, set bearing and notch the bridges. With my
system I need the pinblock installed in order to
properly position the bridges.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin