Fw: D hammers - is action stiffness , inertia/friction ratio ? - comfort

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:26:18 +0200

Andre, as racing cars F1 (may be the name is not as common ?)

Instruments that produce a very precise tone with the best definition
available, and a very precise action that respond easier than our
standard inertia loaded and friction evened (for some part) actions,
are way more dangerous for the pianist as being less tolerant, and
allow less laziness, it is may be harder to relax because control is
more needed in any play mode.

Stephen noticed that the pianists seem to like boomy basses as we
found in some instruments, I tend to believe also that the friction
zone (at the end of the stroke but may be also before) is a security
for the pianist, kind of "second chance" if the initial shoot was a
little excessive.

However, culturally, one make comparisons between pianists based to
some standard tone and action response, the fact that they play the
same not so performing instrument allow for a better comparison
between them, and this habit is really strongly installed I presume.

All this goes against good mechanical and acoustic sense, but in the
end what is a builder expecting is that the instruments he make are
easily accepted as being agreeable to play while providing hopefully
more possibilities than others. I should not be too much surprised
that the reintroduction of a small amount of friction/inertia if not
enough is in the action should be envisaged.

I don't really know how the hammer shank is acting, I wander if a
match between the inertia of the system and the friction is not
necessary, and if too much freeness inside, if too much work is not
given to the shank (and the key) unless fiber shanks are used.

I just wonder if the fact that the low action have such limitations in
term of friction (and inertia) is not at the same time allowing for
some possibilities to the pianist that would be (in that theory)
playing with the answer of the shank in term of acceleration while at
the same time allowing for a more comfortable compression of the
action . I presume that the piano action is working under compression
and stress between the key and the hammer shank.

A modern method to ascertain the flexibility and the compression of
the action, along with the way the inertia act in the system, could
provide us a way to determine some inertia/friction and stiffness
ratios .
It is certainly possible with very fast cameras and analysis, to
determine what happen at different level of velocities, and I suspect
that there are different response mode within the top action, I don't
believe at the oversimplification that say that the pianist is only
allowed to control the velocity of the hammer. The contact moment is
shortened or lengthened depending of the attack angle when the hammer
hit the string, most probably. The moment of inertia of the shank is
allowing for some distortion is not it ?

One French intoners here works the shanks with a cutter, after that
they are more springy (or more soft), so the tone is more like with
the old shanks, unfortunately, at the same time he cut a lot of the
hammer springiness, and the tone always lacks basic power in forte
play. But for soft playing the tone he obtain is aiming for a "French
tone" , very polite and good for the salon .
After having wandered what what's going on, most of us finish to admit
that he "voice the shank" preferably to voicing the hammers. So the
shanks is yet the part we like to understand better as the way he
react to the emotional modes of the pianist ;>)

Not much to do with cutoff bars or D hammers I'd say.

I hope some clear idea remains in my simplified English.

Besties

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech