lacquer softener

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 09:54:28 -0600

Hi Dave,
                  Using the steam voicing method works fine on most
Lacquered hammers, if the hardener is in fact lacquer.  You can generally
tell by the way the needles come out.with lacquer the needles may be hard
to insert but are easy to pull out.  Now the key top type hardeners steam
tends to be less effective.  You can tell with the needles hard to
insert,  and kind of 'gummy' stuck when you try and with draw them.
"Vodka" ( or various alcohol concoctions) on the crown will reduce the
strike noise and make the hammer tolerable but it will not open up the
tone, and improve the sustain. It has a tendency to distort the hammer
shape, depending on how aggressive the use.
What are we looking for in the voicing process?  usually an elastic but
firm shoulder, with the inner area of the crown very firm or hard. The
lower area of the hammer to be very firm an supportive to the
shoulder.  Keep this in mind what ever technique you use.

For steam voicing I would refer you back to my Journal article, it's a
lengthy step by step how to do it. Get the shoulders loosened up first,
just like traditional techniques.

Many pianos out there have been juiced with the key top type hardeners,
drenching with alcohol's will distort the shape of the hammer, but it
works.   My preferred method is to wet needle. It's scary but works
well.   Prop the hammers up with a long voicing block, with a sheet of
polythene under the tails.  Drench the hammers with acetone, until the
acetone is running down the molding, wait 10-15mins to let the juice get to
a plastic state.   Re soak with acetone, I use a long single needle, long
enough to reach the molding. About 6 insertions between 1 and 2 o'clock
right down to the molding, the needles will slide in very easy, and you can
feel the felt move between your finger and thumb,
The results are usually quite good, but lets be clear, a drastically over
juiced hammer is a ruined hammer, and in a perfect world should be changed.
Some times I just keep flushing the hammers,5 or 6 drenching's, If you
think you have over done the job, reshaping the hammers will bring back
quite a bit of brightness.
Final voicing should be done the following day, but you can speed up the
process with a hair dryer.
Process has to be done in a well ventilated space, for obvious reasons.
With these sever cases I will first recommend replacement, but warn the
customer if it works to their satisfaction they save some money, if it
doesn't then we go to plan 2.
Hope this helps
Roger