Tightbond Creep

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:31:27 -0400

Ran across the following on Homestead Finishing website: =
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/glues.htm
 =20
Yellow PVA Glues - Yellow PVA's were originally formulated to overcome =
the negative aspects of white PVA's and are as close to an all-purpose =
woodworking glue as you can get. Franklins Titebond and Elmer's =
Carpenter's Wood Glue are both examples of this type. Some companies =
market a version of yellow glue that is colored brown to be less =
noticeable on dark woods.

Yellow glues are really white glues that have been modified to have =
better woodworking properties. They are less runny because they are =
thicker and have a higher solids content (the ratio of resin to =
solvent.) They sand better because the resin is harder and consequently =
doesn't gum up and clog sandpaper.

While yellow glues have a number of advantages, there are several =
disadvantages you need to take into consideration. They have a short =
open time of around five minutes so you have to work quickly. They also =
have a high initial tack which makes re- positioning very difficult. =
Also, these type of glues and the white varieties have poor creep =
resistance. Their elastic nature allows them to slowly stretch under =
sustained loads. This is a problem in bent lamination and load bearing =
assemblies like structural beams. What happens is that the glue is so =
elastic it will move, which results in eventual joint failure.

Is this just urban legend or what? What I am especially concerned about =
is laminated ribs, rib-to-panel, and bridge-to-panel joints with =
Tightbond. I know its been stated that creep is not a problem, but I was =
rather suprised to see the above on a website that otherwise seems to =
provide pretty darn good information.

Terry Farrell