Semi-log scale design

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 14:53:47 -0500

>My question is, so what? What does this mean? Why would I choose a
>different increment? I guess with a higher increment the scale would be
>longer as it went down, higher tension, lower inharmonicity or louder
>(depending upon wire size), but would "run out of case" sooner, or have to
>be compromised earlier with wound strings, third bridge, etc.

Yes, that's exactly so what. Do the same thing with a spinet and see where
the lengths go. Also see that the last two octaves or so of the spinet can
be pretty much identical to those of the big grand, then you'll have to
change the increment if you want to keep the scale in the case. Or you can
set the increment to end up at the length you want and have shorter than
you might like high tenor/low treble lengths. Go explore and see what fits
where.

>  Might this heavier scale be expected to have a slightly shorter sustain,
> all other things being equal?
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Davis

Not necessarily. You chose your wire size breaks to get the tensions you
want with the lengths you chose.

Ron N