To incorporate or not.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:35:13 -0400

>  If you, and your wife, are the only stock holders of the
> corporation, and the corporation gets sued, guess who has to pay?

I think it is clear that to be sure here one would need to seek competent legal council. But my general understanding is that is a piano tuner's corporation got successfully sued for $100 million - assuming the business was worth less than $100 million (I know mine is), the affected party could only collect what the business was worth (not the $99 million estate that my great auntie left me).

The affected party could not dig into my personal pockets. That was my clear understanding from my attorney when I had my S-corp for environmental services. It wouldn't be all too difficult to make one small mistake in that business and end up with a multi-million dollar groundwater cleanup bill. My info was they could sue my business and take everything the business owned, but they could not touch my personal assets.

Terry Farrell