lacquer softener

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:45:28 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2003 12:14 PM
  Subject: Re: lacquer softener

  In a message dated 4/27/03 5:20:12 AM Central Daylight Time, =
dnereson@dim.com writes:

    What can one use to soften hammers that were lacquered at the =
factory?  At first I thought lacquer thinner, but wouldn't that just =
evaporate and leave them still hard?  Tried a voicing needle and broke =
three of them.  The voicing tool just will not go in.  Tempted to go to =
the vise-grips extreme.  Surely the wonderful world of chemistry offers =
some liquid I can drizzle on them.  ??  --David Nereson, RPT

  Whose hammers are these?=20

  Wim

  It's a brand new Astin-Weight console.  The treble section is quite =
bright and I'm afraid as the piano gets broken in, the hammer felt will =
pack down at the string grooves, getting even harder, and start to break =
strings when I tune.  To steam or not to steam?  Some say yes, some say =
no.  Some say it depends on whether it's actually lacquer.  Guess I =
could call them and ask.=20
      --David Nereson, RPT  (not sure why the font size suddenly =
changed)=20