hammer velocity

Mike Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:27:48 -0500

Dave,

Yes, but I think it would be such a small effect we can ignore it.  The =
mass of the hammer is so much greater than the mass of the shank, that =
as the shank springs back to it's original form it would be the shank =
which is accelerated by the hammer, not the other way around. =20

Mike

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 12:32 AM
  Subject: Re: hammer velocity

  In a message dated 4/27/03 7:12:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time, =
mjbkspal@execpc.com writes:=20

    Between let-off and impact, the jack, rep lever, and string are not =
in contact with the knuckle.  The list of forces acting on the =
hammer/shank assembly consists of gravity and center pin.  period.  Both =
are acting to decelerate the hammer.

  Mike,=20

  What about the flex of the hammer shank?  When the jack releases, it =
is no longer forcing the shank to flex, thus allowing it to spring back =
into its original form a nano-second before striking the string.  =
Couldn't that cause acceleration of the hammer head?  =20

  Dave STahl