Petrof Sticking Keys

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:21:35 -0300

Hi Arthur,
The dryness can cause sticky keys.
Think of it as the grain in the wood having less moisture and shrinking. So the sides of the hole, close in.
That is an oversimplification, but it is the way I understand it.
I couldn't figure it out at first, because I thought of dampness causing the wood to swell against the pin, and therefore being tight.
Mind you that can cause sluggishness as well.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Arthur Chickering
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 3:27 PM
  Subject: Petrof Sticking Keys

  Pianotech,
  I have a customer with a Petrof console piano which has many sticking keys.  The piano is 2 years old and was purchased new in Michigan and moved to Maine.  The home is near the ocean, but the customer does not think her home is very damp because other things made of wood in the home seem to be very dry.  I would like to know if other Petrof pianos in general have been known to have tight key bushings which start to stick easily if there is moisture at all in the home.
  Thanks,
  Arthur