Key Leads and Inertia

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:36:28 +0200

Hello Sarah, and all

A too light key certainly dos not allow to play Marcatto or even
staccato with the same , eh, density !

I have a spring only balanced action in the shop, the touch is light
and the pianist is feeling more the inside of the action than with a
lead balanced key. That can be a good thing, but I believe then that
the top action have to be redesigned to provide a good feel .

Nowadays the key inertia is certainly a comfort element up to some
point.

The springs have other advantages and they can certainly can be used
(are unavoidable sometime), but not so much that they slow the top
action return - the action may work up and down !

Say that the action is something very evolved is of course true, but
not absolutely compared to motors or any late 19 century invention.

Greetings

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech