Key Leads and Inertia

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:53:16 -0400

Greetings Del,
       Thanks for resurrecting key bend energy loss as an issue. Is it
primarily energy lost or does it amount to energy delayed? Both? Is the
'delay' sufficient to amount to 'loss"? How quickly does the key
'remember' it s original shape? There's certainly an interesting
difference in the timing  and efficiency of the transmission of energy
in a slow velocity key blow vs. max velocity blow. How much does a key
stick bend at full blow with 'no stack/no lead'? If we work to stiffen
a key I suspect new challenges in the way of action
fragility/durability will arise. As a pianist it has not escaped my
notice that I don't always get a bigger/louder sound from maximum
acceleration of my paw vs. say 'dropping' my paw from 6-12" above the
keys.
      It seems that at least part of the result of trying to wring more
and more power/amplitude? from the piano-forte is that we create
greater inefficiency at least partly because traditional
materials/designs are driven past their limits of efficiency. Bigger
hammers (and shanks?) to drive the heaviest of the linear springs,
increased string/spring tension, greater mass stacks (and greater mass
balance weights) all conspire to stretch the limits of material and
design.
      Ver-r-r-y interestingk!

Best, Rich Olmsted