Today's Puzzler

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:37:35 -0500

Chickering, you say .... Broken brass plate at hammer flange?
Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Bill Maxim
  Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 8:31 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Today's Puzzler

  List,

  Servicing a geriatric Chickering concert grand today, D4 had a rattle
somewhere in the action that sounded like metal on wood.  I was in the
process of regulating backchecks and noted that the backcheck wire was loose
in the key, so I fixed that with thin CA glue.  The rattle persisted and
seemed to be coming from the top action, so I pulled the wippen.  There was
no rattle in the key, the capstan was tight, and everything appeared tight
in the wippen, even when banging it on the table.  What was causing the
noise?

  Bill Maxim