Henri Herz

Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:07:44 +0200

Hi Folks

Just got done with a whole day with this instrument. I was asked to get
the thing up and running and tuned for one last show before the owners
decide what is to be done with it. Some of you may remember that this
piano is a small piano forte' with the strings in between the sound
board and the action, and the sound board reversed (long side on the
right).

As it turns out, this piano was the instrument, or one of a couple, in
which Norway's National anthem was composed on, and as such the national
broadcasting network in Norway wants to do a little segment on this for
a show which is to air the day before Norway's Constitution Day, which
is the 17th of Mai. A local pianist and I will talk a little bit about
the composing of the anthem, and about the piano, and piano history in
general. Not a real big thing mind you... about a 5 minute segment all
in all.

So... the job today... tuning and getting it semi regulated and
operable. Lots of fun... but actually the tuning of this thing was not
nearly as difficult as I had imagined. I tuned it 200 cents flat, as it
hadn't been tuned in at least 40 years, and with the case cracks I
didn't want to take any chances at all. It started out at around 500
cents flat... perhaps only 300 in the bass. It took four passes to get
it stable at 200 cents under A 440. But it sounded really very very
nice. It had perhaps the nicest bass I have heard on any of the piano
forte's I've run into so far.

The action was in pretty decent shape, though there was a lot of
blocking so I had to find and adjust let off. Turned out to be a very
small simple screw at the back of the key stick. Its height regulated
when the key would engage a secondary lever to the "jack", which pulled
said jack off a lip on the key stick. The checks were actually quite
brilliant. There was this lever on the key stick that engaged a stop
screw as the back of the key rose which rocked the check upwards and
toward the hammer tail. Worked great, perhaps better then the modern
grand check system really. Lost motion was also adjustable via another
small screw on the key stick. In fact, the only two adjustments that
were not on the key stick was a jack rest position button, and the
damper lift button.  The dampers had a lot of disintegrating lead in
them, and these had expanded and were hanging on each other badly, so I
had to take this outside on some plastic matting file away enough to get
the thing working freely. Other wise, the dampers themselves were
levered and under the strings counterbalanced by the lead in their
levers. Needed new felt.

All in all... very workable. After about 8 hours of tuning, cleaning,
regulating, and in general figuring out how it worked I had it playing
rather nicely. Friday the pianist comes to get aquatinted with the
thing, and next Wednesday we shoot the program.

More then once today I got to thinking about this guy Henri Herz. Quite
the fellow really. Very accomplished pianist / composer... perhaps
overly fond of his own compositions, turned part time piano forte maker,
responsible for the simplification of the Erard double repetition action
that is today's grand piano action. And obviously a fellow with quite an
imagination for the inventive side of life.

Cheers

RicB
--
Richard Brekne