S&S Square

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:58:12 EDT

In a message dated 7/31/03 6:26:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kpiano@goldrush.com writes:

> Tuned a S&S square, second square in a month. Hey, things are slow this time
> of year.
> This one was restored 50 years ago so it has regular tuning pins. I sure am
> glad there aren't 3 strings per unison. What a back killer.
> Two notes didn't work. That didn't stop me from tuning the strings but I
> asked her if she wanted them fixed. Well, Steinway screwed in the action with
> oval headed bolts and I hadn't borrowed the antique tuning hammer.
> So far I've made three assumptions. That's scary. Since I have a couple of
> days before I'm back that way, I'm asking for any advice, tips, etc. about
> Steinway Squares.
> It was sitting on carpet so it didn't show any cheek lift but It rarely gets
> played so I tuned it 20 cents flat.
> Thanks guys and gals.

Keith,

I tuned an S and S Square recently that had a couple of notes that weren't
working.  It's a very simple mechanism.  In the case of the one I was working
on, the jack had just flipped over backwards.  I just flipped it back under the
knuckle, and voila!  It worked.  Whatta genius.....

The hard part was getting the action back in so that some of the hammers in
the high treble didn't get stuck on the plate when the keys were struck.  I
eventually got it aligned right.

I agree, I'm glad there weren't three strings in the upper unisons.  My back
still hurts thinking about it.  Overall, though, I enjoyed the experience far
more than I thought I might.

I wasn't clear on whether you got the action out or not.  Once you do get it
out, the thing is pretty self-explanatory.

Dave Stahl