Fallboard removal

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 01:13:19 -0400

    This sounds like one I ran into several years ago.  It also defied =
removal.  After going through the same steps, I noticed looking at the =
END of the fallboard when it was half open, I saw two screws on each end =
going into a flat strip of metal which was part of the hinge.  Removing =
these screws released the fallboard, and sliding it off the metal strips =
removed it entirely.  Is this clear?  The key is finding the screws that =
go into the fall horizontally on each end.
    Mike Kurta
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wesley Hardman=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2003 12:02 AM
  Subject: Fallboard removal

  Can anyone help with this one????
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sheila Parker=20
  To: Wesley Hardman=20
  Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 3:34 PM
  Subject: Hello

  Hi Wesley,=20
      I hope all is well with you. I have run across a piano I wanted to =
ask you about. Have you done any work on a George Steck Baby Grand =
Piano? The one I tuned was manufactured in 1932, there was no problem =
tuning it. The owner wanted me to take the action out and clean it. The =
key rail came off as usual. The problem was the fall board. There were =
no screws to loosen, there were no slots to align so it would come out. =
I could see the pins that the fall board pivoted on and tried every =
thing I could to find the secret to get the fall board off to no avail. =
Another strange feature was that the blocks at each end of the keyboard =
were fasten in with screws going in from the top instead of the bottom. =
The only way to get to these screws was to take the fall board off =
first. I could use any help you can give on this one. The piano is in =
good condition for its age. There is no way to make any repairs if =
needed in the future if I can't find out how to get the fall board off. =
I search the Internet for info but came up empty handed.  Any help you =
can give me will certainly be appreciated.
                                                                         =
 Thanks,
                                                                         =
             Bill=20