self-tuning piano

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 09:36:56 -0500

I know from first hand experience that changes in humidity can completely
destroy a tuning. I've tuned several factory new pianos on arrival at the
customer's home, and within a month, they were very much out of tune again.
The second tuning held much better. I believe I can set the pin pretty good
too.

Richard
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Peter Burns
  Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 7:54 PM
  To: pianotech
  Subject: self-tuning piano

  Don Gilmore, the inventor, states "....My piano at home is audibly out of
tune a fortnight after being tuned...."  perhaps his troubles could be
solved by one who knows how to "set" the tuning pin correctly?  Can any
techs explain the consequences of using this
  "self-tuning"system a second or third time after the piano has left the
factory having been, so I understand, tuned exactly sharp enough for the
piano to be "in tune" after the first heating of the strings. Surely this is
not a receipe for the life long tuning care
  of any piano?
  "heated" comments expected,
  Peter

  Peter J Burns