S&S Square Grand

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:35:46 -0700

That's what I was pointing out.  The actions don't lock into the correct
position as easily as modern grands.  When I removed the one that I worked
on, I
didn't realize this, but when I go back, I'll make tiny alignment markings
so
that it won't be a problem in the future.

Thanks for being such a good resource for the instruments,

Dave Stahl

Dave,
"mak(ing) alignment marks won't work on square grands, like it does for
modern grands. The usual appearance of "out of alignment" is usually due to
the fact that the darned hammers/butts have a tendency to "wonder" all on
their own. This causes a lot of RE-alignment, (which is a pain in the butt,
on squares!), on each visit. The best thing I can say about alignment of the
key frame in the cavity is: 1. Once the action is "apparently" all the way
in....play each key, at least once. This will allow the damper push wire to
center itself over the lift leather/felt! 2.Now re-settle the action frame
up against the "dags"/stops. A firm push is required. (push on the key
frame, itself.) This is the correct way to do this. 3. Check to see if the
hammers are aligned with the strings. (Check several in each section). The
tool, necessary to do this, can be your "spring tool", that has small right
angle off of the main shank. Lift each hammer all the way TO the string,
because of the weird angles a visual by "playing" the note will not be
accurate. 4. If you have to re-align hammers, remove the "name board" so you
can make chalk marks/code on the key sticks. DO NOT attempt to align the
hammers by sticking your arm, (all the way up to the pit!), into the action
cavity! Once you have "coded" the keys of the hammers that need aligning,
remove the action, (sigh....again!<G>), make the appropriate alignments,
making sure there is proper clearance with the neighboring hammers. (This is
tantamount!)
When re-inserting the action, the critical areas to watch out for are those
darned little soundboard supports between the sections. They will break a
hammer!!!!! DAMHIK!!!!
Hope this helps. To reiterate please have the proper tools to do this kind
of work?! (This is directed at everyone!<G>
Oh, a little trick for those actions that do not have the "handle": use your
stringing hook, under a central front key pin. <G> (GENTLY!<g>)
Thanks for listening. As for "Thanks for being such a good resource....", It
is my pleasure and calling, in this piano life.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Squares Are I