Today's Puzzler--Pianomation problem

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 07:32:30 -0500

I bet the rubber volume button on the remote/control unit (probably =
control unit) was jammed under the housing, in effect constantly holding =
it down.

Mike Bratcher
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 11:37 PM
  Subject: Today's Puzzler--Pianomation problem

  Listees and Listers,=20

  I don't do too much work on pianos with disc systems in them, but I do =
tune them occasionally, because some of the people who install them =
don't tune.  Anyway, I get to a customer's house, and she wants me to =
see if I can add another speaker to her Pianomation 2000CD+ system so =
that the accompanying music will be in stereo.  If I had done my =
research beforehand, I would have saved myself a bit of time and grief, =
because I found out later that they can't play in stereo--channel 2 is =
used to drive the player unit.=20

  I turned the player on, and it wasn't making any sound, so I turned =
the volume up a little.  Unfortunately, the volume went all the way up =
to 40--it's maximum output.  Efforts with both the remote and the =
buttons on the unit itself proved futile.  As soon as I released =
whichever button I was pushing, it would go back up to 40.  I could get =
no other display.=20

  I called my friend who installs these to see if he could help.  We ran =
through a few simple tests that didn't work, including turning it off =
and unplugging it to let the capacitors drain, then turning it back on.  =
I looked to make sure the window was lined up correctly so that the unit =
could read the remote signal.=20

  I finally  figured it out, and it was painfully simple.  Can anyone =
figure this out?=20

  Dave Stahl