Teflon Bushings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:06:49 -0700

Joe,
The Edsel was a marketing failure, not a technological failure.
I have had my own difficulties servicing the Teflon
bushing and actually have very few "Teflon" actions in my practice, so
I'm curious as to other opinions on the list about this chapter in
action center design. Good Idea gone bad? Bad idea gone away for good?
I heard an opinion expressed in the mid 80's from those @
Steinway and Sons that:
"The technicians killed the Teflon bushing"
Inquiring mind wants to know.
Tom Driscoll

Tom,
First of all, IMO, the Edsel was a good idea, poorly executed. Such is the
Teflon Bushing, IMHO. Perhaps with the new Space Age Plastics parts, the
teflon idea may work better. Also, felt bushings have extremely good
longitety, so why go to something else? If we continue to use wood for
action parts, Teflon is not in the picture. Hence, an Edsel idea.
As for the S&S BS, that's pretty much it! That statement was probably made
by the idjit that came up with the Teflon idea, in the first place. (Not
naming names of course!<G>)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police