Piano Stage Truck Installation

Phil Romano romano@sccoast.net
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:58:34 -0400

Hello List,

I have been off this list for several months now, necessitated by an
extensive travel schedule. I'm getting back to "normal" here in SC,
looking forward to the fall season. I'll be posting whenever I think I
can contribute something worthwhile. Otherwise, I'll just glean what I
can from all of your combined wisdom.

Re: piano trucks.... I don't think I'd try Hazen's approach with the bar
stools for any large grands. I suppose it would work with smaller
pianos. I would be interested in your pics Jerry. Carrying around three
large jack stands might be overdoing it a little. I use an old house
jack that a friend gave me. It's almost the perfect size to fit under
grands. I jack one side of the keybed at a time and fit the truck...then
do the tail. Always have the bench (if it's solid) under the area you're
jacking just in case. I've done trucks on 9 footers without assistance
numerous times. I always like a helper if one is available.

I like Terry's idea of a custom built device but I think it would be
cost prohibitive for most clients (that is if the builder wanted to make
any money at it). I would agree that the standard trucks are a bit
boring to look at. There used to be a truck available by Schroeder(?). I
think they called it a piano carriage. It was much more aesthetically
pleasing but I think about three times the cost. I believe they have
gone out of business. Anyone know?

Phil Romano
Myrtle Beach, SC
romano@sccoast.net