bridge on model 0

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 08 Aug 2003 00:26:03 -0400

At 11:45 PM 8/7/2003, you wrote:

>There is nothing wrong with the pinblock or the soundboard

Meaning what? No cracks? Is there crown? Do you have adequate bearing?

>but the whole bangshoot has been smothered with  gunk at the factory,=20
>infact on the surrounds of the bass bridge underneath, you can feel the=20
>dried "drops" of gunk. I start to wonder if the buzzes are not caused by=20
>some of this stuff having perhaps lifted a bit over the years, the quality=
=20
>! of this piano is really rough.
>
>The bridge has no dowels holding it, just the four screws through belly=20
>buttons from underneath, with those out there is quite a bit of movement=20
>and creaking etc. I have run a knife around the edges to "break" the seal=
=20
>and have got some separation but I am afraid that some of the soundboard=20
>may come off attached to the bridge !

Count on it!!!

>As I said before being a modern piano they have not used hide glue but=20
>some other stuff - what ? - so I don't know what to disolve it with or=20
>even if it will disolve.
>
>Before coming this far I have in the past tried & tested the bridge=20
>pins,strings/ checked the frame bolts/hinges/ also where the soundboard=20
>meets the cabinet - this soundboard has lots of flex

I'm afraid I don't understand this description. Is this flex in it's=20
currently un-strung state?

>- far more than "normal" ( does that exist?). In any event I have now come=
=20
>this far so I'm stuck with the problem. There seemed little point in going=
=20
>to all the trouble in taking out the frame and putting it back without=20
>actually getting at what seems to be the problem - in other words the=20
>bridge - not so ?

Certainly you should tackle the problem but I'm guessing that it may lie=20
deeper than just the bridge. More accurately that one problem may lead to=20
another making only bridge work a scratch on the surface of bigger problems.

I don't wish to come across poorly here. I really don't know what level of=
=20
experience you have and I'm only throwing out ideas. It just seems to me=20
that the overwhelming evidence in the filed from this type of piano is that=
=20
there might be other issues. What tests did you perform that make you think=
=20
the problem is coming only and solely from the bridge? BTW, which bridge=20
are we talking about here? Seems like there might be some piece of the=20
puzzle missing here.