advice today please!

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 07:58:06 -0500

Hi Tom,

My advise is not to buy any product from Biasco.  Find another dealer =
with a better reputation.  I worked for them a few years back...trust =
me.

Mike Bratcher
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tvak@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 3:07 PM
  Subject: advice today please!

  List

  Tomorrow I go into the den of iniquity, i.e., Biasco Piano, to examine =
a piano on a client's behalf.  It is a pre-owned U1, serial #725700.  =
Biasco is expecting me to come tomorrow to check it out and have agreed =
to let me see it.  Now, he has already put money down on this piano so =
I'm not sure if the deal can be nixed at this point, no matter what I =
find, but what general advice would you have for someone in this =
situation?  I've never been called on before to examine a piano at any =
dealer before, let alone at Biasco.  I'm not looking for advice on what =
aspects of the piano to check; I can in all modesty say that I am fully =
qualified to examine this piano for its integrity, quality and/or any =
potential problems. =20

  It's the ethical/business aspects that I ask advice on.  For starters, =
I plan on saying nothing to the folks at Biasco about what I find.  The =
client is paying me for advice and I will give it to him directly.  But =
if I find something that is truly wrong (and being Biasco...this could =
be possible) can I be held liable in some way if the client decides to =
back out of the deal? =20

  I've already warned him of gray market Yamahas, but he's not =
particularly concerned.  He already owns another Yamaha and thought he =
could provide the serial number to that piano if any parts were needed =
for this piano.  I had to admit that most of the parts would probably be =
interchangeable.  Not an ethical way to deal with a problem, but since =
the problem at this point doesn't exist, I chose not to address it.=20

  So, any advice will be appreciated.  I don't want to get myself into =
any trouble over this.  I really don't expect to find anything radically =
wrong with this piano.  I think it's just going to be another one hour =
service call, but I'm sure many of you have been here before and will =
have some great advice. =20

  If I can avoid stepping in it, I'd gladly walk around it!

  Tom Sivak