visit to Biasco

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:11:33 -0700

Tom,, If they're going to sell a piano from the warehouse, then they get =
the serial number from the piano which is going to the customer and =
write that on the customer's receipt. Period.
    Also, what's the "documentation" fee for?  =20
Something smells fishy here.
Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tvak@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 4:06 PM
  Subject: visit to Biasco

  List

  Thanks to all for the advice...  To briefly recap, I was hired to =
examine a Yamaha U1 which my client purchased from Biasco Piano.  He =
wanted me to inspect it before he took delivery.  I arrived and was =
shown to the piano, which had a different serial number than the one =
sold to my client. (!) So I inquired if there was a mistake, but I was =
told that this was indeed my client's piano.  When I pointed out to them =
that it had a different serial number, they told me that they never sell =
the pianos off the floor.  They take a piano from the warehouse to =
deliver to the client. =20

  Imagine a car dealer doing that?

  Unanswered questions:  If they don't sell the pianos off the floor, =
where did the piano my client bought go?  And if they don't sell the =
pianos off the floor, then are they intending to deliver yet a different =
piano to my client?  Am I inpsecting a random U1?

  Interesting sales ploy:  Yamaha U1 advertised for $1695 in the =
newspaper.  Sign on piano: "To qualify for this price, you must purchase =
bench."  Cost of bench: $325. (no frills standard bench)  My client =
tells me he also paid $175 documentation fee.  So you can add $500 to =
that advertised price.  ($2195 for a U1, still not a bad price.)

  Tom Sivak