Muting Pattern

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 02:28:48 EDT

Corte,

Yet another take on it...

I use a split mute in the treble.  If there is alot of room above the dampers
and the piano isn't too flat, I'll occasionally strip the whole section.

This is my normal procedure:  I mute the outside strings, then tune the
center string of the note closest to the break, move the mute to straddle the next
note, tune the left string of the first note, tune the center string of the
straddled note;  move mute up to straddle next string, tune right string of
first note, left string of next note, center string of straddled note.

Sounds complicated, but is really easy, and there is only one mute movement
per three strings tuned.

Dave Stahl