Soundboard crown

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:36:42 +0300

Hello!

I have followed the numeorus discussions on this list oabout rib-crowned vs.
compression crowned soundboards with great interest.
However, I am asking myself if a soundboard always needs  crown in order to
work properly?
I heard about some old pianos with no measurable crown that sound very good.
I have even seen some where no crown seemed left, yet the performance was
very good. I read that harpsichords do not have crowned boards (except the
Italian ones).
So, why is a crown necessary?
Would a flat board, but with enough downbearing for teh strings, work or
not?

Regards,

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com