Soundboard crown

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:11:12 +0300

Hi Dale,

My question is not related to keeping old flat boards. I was simply =
wondering if a new board could work if manufactured without any crown. =
Why is crown desireable?

Regards,

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 9:40 PM
  Subject: Re: Soundboard crown

  In a message dated 8/10/2003 10:41:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time, =

    Subj: Soundboard crown=20
    Date: 8/10/2003 10:41:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    From: dnu@fx.ro
    To: pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

                More often than not a soundboard needs crown to produce =
the kind of musical tone we expexct from a legitimate sounding piano. =
Though it sounds like heresy I have heard some amazingly good sounding =
flat or virtually flat boards. And some had considerable bearing.

     Most of these were stwys but not always. and these pianos are the =
exception and not the   rule.=20
     To my mind If a client is considering a  rebuilding=20
    project on such a  =20

     piano the issue  becomes one of sound board longevity and =
integrity.    =20
    Other  f
    actors, such as, does it make sense to put new bridge    =20

     caps,block, actions etc. on an old flat board if an optimal result =
is the=20

    desired outcome?

         A harpsichord ihas a very thin board and no plate. The =
structure is light and has trouble staying tuned as it is even with no =
bearing. I admit to knowing little about harpsichords except that they =
have little tension and a light sound. As to the question of why a piano =
soundboard needs adequate crown and downbearing the simple answer is =
because we know they sound better  both in the quality of tone and in =
its ability to produce volumne/power. I'll let others cover the theory =
as they're better at it than I.=20
    Regards---Dale Erwin

    Hello!

    I have followed the numeorus discussions on this list oabout =
rib-crowned vs.
    compression crowned soundboards with great interest.
    However, I am asking myself if a soundboard always needs  crown in =
order to
    work properly?
    I heard about some old pianos with no measurable crown that sound =
very good.
    I have even seen some where no crown seemed left, yet the =
performance was
    very good. I read that harpsichords do not have crowned boards =
(except the
    Italian ones).
    So, why is a crown necessary?
    Would a flat board, but with enough downbearing for teh strings, =
work or
    not?