Soundboard crown

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:24:25 +0300

Hi Ron!

Once again, I am not talking about rebuilding, I am talking about new
boards.
You say:
> Define "properly". Soundboards are typically crowned to provide more
> stiffness for the given mass. They become stiffer as the crown is
> depressed. That stiffness and spring resistance against the spring
> downbearing load of the string plane provides the impedance match for what
> we occasionally consider to be good tone in a conventionally built piano.

A rib-crowned board, if I understand things right, should be not that much
different in terms of stiffness from a flat board with flat ribs that ave
the same strength.
A crowned rib is not working like an arch in architecture - it works like a
beam supporting a vertical load, at least that seems to be what people say
around here. So wether you make it crowned or not, this should be relatively
unimportant.

> Everyone has heard of these pianos. Most of them are owned by the guy who
> bought the new Corvette for $100 because someone died in it. How many have
> you actually heard for yourself, and what was the condition of the other
> dozens, if not hundreds of factors involved in this assessment?

Let's forget them.

> >So, why is a crown necessary?
>
> To provide the necessary stiffness under load - if it was designed that
way
> in the first place as most of them were.

But can't that stiffness be provided by a perfectly straight (flat) set of
ribs and a flat board?

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com