Soundboard crown

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:38:29 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/2003 12:24:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time, dnu@fx.ro
writes:

> >To provide the necessary stiffness under load - if it was designed that
> way
> >in the first place as most of them were.
>
> But can't that stiffness be provided by a perfectly straight (flat) set of
> ribs and a flat board?
>

> Calin Tantareanu

       Calin
      As I'm sure you know the board your describing to be made with flat
ribs will not stay straight but crown once the dried panel gains moisture. What
you're describing is the old syle  pure compression type of board making. That
is unless you mean that  no panel drying is done prior to the rib glue up. In
this hypothetical case some amount of bearing is no doubt likely to reverse
the crown of the board don't you think. And the panel will likely crack as soon
as it dips below it's realitively high E.M.C at the time of ribbing. Of course
if the ribs were made deep enough like a very thick beam I suppose you could
achieve the stiffness as you suggest but is this really your question?
   Regards---Dale