Muting Pattern

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:07:52 -0500

Hi James,

I always strip mute for pitch raise and go from A0 to C88 tuning unisons as
I go.  I don't strip mute the bass section but prefer to just use a single
mute in that section.  But, for the tenor and treble I always strip mute.
I will tune the center note of a particular string (using an ETD with
calculated overpull - I use 20% in the bass, 35% for the first 6 plain wire
strings, and 25% for the rest of the tenor and treble), pull out the felt
strip so the left and center strings are open, tune the left string to the
center string (aurally).  At this point, I move up a note and tune that
center string.  I then pull out the felt strip so the left and center
strings of this new note are open.  I then move back down a note and pull
up the third string of that lower note aurally, and then I'm ready to move
back up a note to aurally pull up the left string to the center string.
This procedure gets repeated over and over until you are finished.

This method allows to pitch raise a piano in 30 minutes or less.

Corte Swearingen

                      "JAMES DALLY"
                      <jdally@ecr.net>         To:       "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      pianotech-bounces        Subject:  Re: Muting Pattern
                      @ptg.org

                      08/11/2003 09:57
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

I need a new system for pitch raising;  could you explain how you use 4
mutes and if this works as well for pitch raising?  Many thanks