Soundboard crown

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:48:51 -0500

>Tonewood Ron, tonewood.

Yes, of course. Sometimes the more sophisticated terminology escapes me
momentarily. Thank you.

>You know, I took a couple classes in dendrology - but I've never seen a
>tonewood tree - not even a picture of one.
>
>Terry Farrell

They look just like regular trees, as near as I can tell from the
brochures, only they grow on the North side of the mountain, somewhere down
in the valley at the East end where they only get direct sun when it rises
in the Southwest. Even then, I think you have to whack them with a
previously tuned testing log to see if they're ripe, cut them down, float
them in a pond filled with secret sauce for 340 years to season those
little vibrating membranes, hand split them into quarters with a giant
froe, air dry them for 9.2 years in the North facing shed while turning
them every hour. Then you cut a piece to a precisely specific length, shout
into one end of it, and listen for the bell like tone coming out the other
end. If the tone produced doesn't sound like the calibration sample in the
vault, or if the shout doesn't pass through the log at the right speed, or
emerge at the right pitch, it's not a tone log and you have to go back out
in the woods and start over. Those that prove not to be tone logs are used
for keybeds, keys, posts and beams, studs, plates, and joists for Western
framing, light but sturdy soundboard presses, tongue depressors, and yard
sticks - not necessarily in that order.

Ron N