Riding Bass Strings

Mark Cerisano mcerisano@sympatico.ca
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:01:43 -0400

I am replacing the strings on an old Weber but I have run into a curious =
situation. While restringing, I noticed that a string was beginning to =
rub against the next tuning pin. The next tuning pin had no string on it =
yet so when it does, there will be even more interference. The layout of =
the bass pins are mostly diagonal arrangements of four pins each. This =
interference is happening where the diagonal pattern starts. I didn't =
record it, but I assume that the stringing pattern was sequential, i.e. =
all four pins in a diagonal were used before going to the next set. The =
curious situation is this: if I use the first pin of the next set of =
diagonals instead of the fourth pin of the working set, and then the =
fourth pin of the working set, and then the second pin of the next set, =
then  there is no interference. Would this create a difficult situation =
for the next tuner? Should I string this way?

Note: Usual stringing pattern:
Diagonals: 1   2   3   4   1   2   3   4   1   2   3   4 ...
 Stringing:  1   2   3   4   1   2   3   4   1   2   3   4 ...

Proposed stringing pattern:
Diagonals: 1   2   3   4   1   2   3   4   1   2   3   4 ...
 Stringing:  1   2   3   1   4   2   3   1   4   2   3   1 ...

Mark Cerisano
Cerisano Piano (mrtuner.com)
Provider of Piano Tuning and Repair Services.
Visit http://mrtuner.com and browse pianos for sale,
read about tuning and repair information,
or advertise your own piano for sale.
(613)270-9894
1-866-MRTUNER(678-8637)
mark@mrtuner.com